What If Your Dog Eats a Rabbit With Hemorrhagic Disease?

A rabbit infected with hemorrhagic disease can be extremely harmful for your dog. There are some symptoms to look out for and prevent. These can be quite serious, and can even cause death. Read on to learn more about the symptoms and prevention of tularemia and giardiasis in dogs.

Symptoms of tularemia in dogs

Tularemia is a disease that affects sheep and goats, but it can also affect dogs. Symptoms of tularemia in a dog include fever, lethargy, and a lack of appetite. It can also cause draining abscesses and enlarged lymph nodes. This disease is rare in dogs and usually self-limiting. Tularemia bacteria live in the heart, lungs, spleen, and bone marrow.

When your dog eats rabbit meat or rabbit carcasses, it may get infected with tularemia. The risk for acquiring tularemia increases for hunters and other people who work outdoors. Hunters, fishers, and trappers often handle infected game and may be exposed to blood and tissue. They may also be exposed to infected fleas or ticks. Although tularemia is highly contagious, there are ways to prevent the disease in your dog. Make sure to wear protective clothing when handling game and check for ticks often.

Symptoms of hemorrhagic disease in rabbits

Hemorrhagic disease in rabbits is a potentially fatal condition characterized by bleeding from various body orifices. Rabbits affected by the disease usually die within 12 to 36 hours. There is no known cure for the condition. Symptoms can range from lack of appetite to sudden death. In severe cases, the animal may also exhibit neurological signs such as incoordination, excitement, or seizure like episodes.

Rabbit hemorrhagic disease is an infectious disease caused by a virus. The virus can be transmitted from one animal to another through oral, nasal, or parenteral routes. Infected rabbits may also transmit the virus through contaminated food or feces. The virus has a short incubation period, three to four days, and can be pervasive in a rabbit. Haemorrhagic vaginal discharge, as well as foamy exudates from the nostrils, are other signs of the disease.

Symptoms of giardiasis in dogs

If your dog ate a rabbit that had hemorrhagic disease, he or she could develop a variety of symptoms. These include diarrhea, severe gastric inflammation, loss of appetite, and weight loss. Treatment depends on the type of giardiasis your dog has, and your veterinarian can prescribe medication to combat the symptoms.


The best way to prevent your dog from contracting rabbit hemorrhagic disease is to first prevent your dog from coming in contact with a sick rabbit. The disease is caused by the bacteria Francisella tularensis, which is most common in rabbits. This bacteria produces toxins in the blood.

The virus is easily spread from rabbit to rabbit and can also be spread through insects and human contact. Infected rabbits shed the virus in feces, respiratory discharge, and body fluids. It can also be passed through feed and contaminated objects. During storage, contaminated feed should be sprayed with disinfectant solutions that contain 1% virkon-S by Dupont. These disinfectants must be used for the recommended period of time.

Rabbits with the disease usually show clinical signs such as listlessness, lack of appetite, and jaundice. Eventually, they die from liver failure. The disease can be mild, but it can still be deadly if not treated quickly. Infected rabbits are likely to shed the virus for months after exposure to it, so if your dog eats a rabbit with hemorrhagic disease, you should call your veterinarian immediately.

Treatment of giardiasis in dogs

Giardiasis in dogs is a potentially fatal infection. The disease is transmitted to dogs through rabbit pellets. Treatment for the infection involves oral antibiotics. Symptoms include soft stools, mucous in the stools, and an inappropriate increase in weight. However, your dog can recover completely with the right treatment.

Infection is caused by a microscopic parasite, called Giardia duodenalis, which is shed in the stool of infected animals. Infection can occur when a dog comes into contact with the stool of an infected animal, or by eating food that contains infected meat or fruit. In some cases, people can also become infected if they swim in contaminated water.